Perimeter Behavioral Hospital of Dallas offers inpatient behavioral health treatment to children as young as five years old. Inpatient care focuses on providing immediate crisis stabilization and resolution. Our 24-hour care is provided through our multi-disciplinary treatment team.
We know that seeking treatment can be emotionally challenging for families, therefore we designed our programs with our patients and their families' individualized needs in mind.
We offer three different programmatic tracks to better serve the unique needs of the children within our community. We also offer an array of added-value services to bring a sense of community and "home" to the hospital environment.
Mental Health Track
Our mental health track is designed for children who are undergoing mental health challenges and showing signs of being at immediate risk of harm to themselves or others. This program utilizes different therapeutic modalities such as Cognitive Processing Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy to cover topics such as anger, grief, self-harming behaviors, anxiety/depression, body-image, and other related mental health topics.
Signs to seek mental health treatment in your child might include:
- Suicidal Talk or Actions
- Flat Emotional Responses
- Sudden Weight Loss or Lack of Hygiene
- Changes in Behavior (Disorganization, Pacing, Rocking, Grimacing)
- Isolation from Friends and Family
- Over-reactions to Disappointments or Failures
- Persistent Crying
- Lethargy and Fatigue/Lack of Motivation
While these are some signs to seek treatment, this is not an all-inclusive list. If you have any concerns, please ask for help.
We are proud to offer the only trauma program specifically designed for children who've undergone a traumatic event. Our trauma program utilizes an array of therapy modalities including Trauma Model Therapy, Trust-Based Relational Intervention, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Trauma Informed Care, among other therapeutic interventions specifically designed for use in trauma scenarios.
Childhood traumatic events could include:
- Physical, sexual, or psychological abuse and neglect (including trafficking)
- Natural and technological disasters or terrorism
- Family or community violence
- Sudden or violent loss of a loved one
- Substance use disorder (personal or familial)
- Serious accidents or life-threatening illness
- Military family-related stressors (e.g., deployment, parental loss or injury)
Our staff are trained in the art of communication with children who've undergone a traumatic experience. Instead of utilizing re-traumatizing methods, staff are able to assist children in overcoming the events to move forward.
Chemical Dependency Track
Substance use disorders result from the continued use of drugs and/or alcohol, despite the ongoing occurrence of problems. Our Chemical Dependency Track is designed for both detoxification and chemical dependency treatment. We utilize an evidence-based adolescent chemical dependency treatment modality to meet kids where they are and help them tackle their substance use challenges.
If you are concerned that your teen might be using drugs, here are some common warning signs to look for:
- Changes in Behavior/Becoming Defiant
- Poor Academic Performance
- Missing School and/or Extracurricular Activities
- Getting into Conflicts or Trouble at School
- Decreased Interest in Hobbies
- Changing Friends or Social Circles
- Isolating/Acting Secretive
Because many abused drugs are psychotropic, personality or mood changes are also common signs of drug use. These include:
- Frequent Mood Swings or Emotional Instability
- Extreme Highs and Lows
- Manipulative or Deceitful Behavior
- Decreased Motivation/Lethargy
- Memory Problems/Poor Concentration
Through our Chemical Dependency Track we can help detox from alcohol, Opioids, Benzodiazepines, and stimulants.
Added Value Services
We realize that it is difficult to bring your child to a facility for treatment. To make the stay more enjoyable, we have implemented additional activities throughout treatment to add value to therapy and make the children feel more comfortable.
We look forward to providing therapeutic, yet fun activities which keep the children engaged within a safe environment.
Additional Activities include: Yoga Therapy, Pet Therapy Groups, Art Therapy, Movement Therapy, Play Therapy, Family Therapy, and Equine Therapy coming soon.